Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The poem that made them all cry

Daddy who used to be

Sometimes it hurts when I think about the future.
Mostly because I know you won't be there.
You were my best friend. My big teddy bear.
You always told me not to worry,
To cheer up, because the good guy wins at the end of the story.
But lately, I look around.
And all I hear is how you're down.
I close my eyes and fight the frown.
But deep inside I already know who wins this fight.
It's never the good guy anymore.
I hold back the thoughts, so the words won't pour.
I see the number before the phone even rings,
I think about answering, but my hand starts to sting.
Clicking ignore hurts more than talking to you.
But, the lies have become too much for me to handle,
I feel like i'm starting to unglue,
I start to shake and realize I have nothing to hold onto.
You left and took my spirit away,
You changed and broke my heart,
you called again today,
I might just take my phone apart.
The tears I've cried would fill an entire bath,
is it too much to ask for you to follow the right path.?
You're older than me, and yet I tell you how to live your life,
I wish things were different and my days weren't filled with strife.
But, every night the phone rings,
And I have no choice but to answer it.
Even though I wish I didn't give a shit,
you're my father, and it kills me more and more,
every minute to know that youre never going to be,
who you used to be.
The daddy who used to love me.
-AmberWomack 7.14.10

No comments: